Cooper Library Equipment Use Policy
Checking out any piece of equipment represents your agreement to the following policies:
- Only active students and employees whose accounts are in good standing may check out equipment. Community patrons and alumni are not permitted to check out equipment.
- Only one of each item may be checked out per account, e.g. one SLR and one tripod.
- All equipment checks out for one day with the exception of iPads (3 days) and gaming items (1 week).
- Reservations may be submitted via online form or at the Circulation Desk. Please note we will do our best to fulfill reservations but due to heavy demand they are not guaranteed.
- All equipment not reserved is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- One-day checkout items may be renewed once (for one additional day) when no reservations are waiting to be fulfilled. Contact the Circulation Desk for renewals. iPads and gaming items are not subject to renewal.
- All equipment must be returned to the Circulation Desk before it closes on the due date. Patrons are expected to note Circulation hours for their due date. Do not leave equipment for return while the desk is unattended.
- Abuse of the checkout policy will result in the suspension of equipment checkout privileges. Suspension period ranges from one month to permanently and will be considered on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the Equipment Coordinator and/or Circulation Manager.
Fines and Damages
- Late fees vary per item. See the Equipment Guide for specific item rates. Fines are assessed for each day or portion thereof that the item is returned past its due date.
- Users are responsible for any damage and/or loss or theft of equipment items checked out on their account. Users are expected to report any problems experienced with equipment during their borrowing period.
- Items returned missing pieces will remain checked out to the user until all pieces are returned. Users will be responsible for any late fees that accrue as a result. If the missing piece is lost, users should contact Circulation immediately to report the lost piece and discuss replacement options.
- If an item is 7 days overdue, it is considered lost or stolen, and the borrower will be charged for its replacement. Replacement fees include the actual cost of replacement plus a $25.00 processing fee. If the item is returned after a replacement fee is charged the amount will be reduced to what is owed in overdue fees.
- Patrons are responsible for saving their data to their own computer and erasing data thereafter.
- To ensure patron privacy, any remaining data is erased from devices returned containing memory storage. Images/videos left on devices may be viewed during this process.
- Images/videos containing illegal activity found on devices will be turned over to University Police.